Meals-on-Wheels, or MOW, is a service for seniors to receive nutritionally balanced meals delivered to the home. Our meals and delivery service respond to your needs. Many of our clients have limited income, dietary restrictions, and no family or community connections nearby.
We deliver hot or frozen, nutritious meals right to your door. That means you no longer have to leave the house or stay on your feet for long periods of time to cook. Our meals are culturally appropriate, with food ranging from Caribbean, Chinese, Greek, South East Asian, and more. All dishes are dietitian-approved and evaluated for the dietary needs of older adults and those with chronic conditions like diabetes or swallowing difficulty.
Our food is prepared fresh daily and can be customized based on your individual needs. Low sodium, pureed, and renal diets are just some of your meal options.
The Meals on Wheels service also includes a friendly check-in to promote social connection, safety monitoring especially for seniors living alone or at-risk, and support to access additional services when needed.
How Does it Work?
- Hot meals are delivered Monday through Friday between 11:30 am to 1:30 pm. Frozen meals are available as well and are offered on Fridays.
- You choose the frequency and which days of the week you prefer meal delivery.
- Hot meals are $8.75 per meal and include 1 soup, 1 entrée, and 1 dessert. (please note this price change is effective Feb. 14, 2022)
- Frozen meal packages are available and include 5 entrées, and 5 soups or desserts.
- You will be billed at the end of each month and can pay by cheque or pre-authorized payment.
- People delivering meals are trained in ensuring seniors receive any needed assistance with their meals.
Am I eligible?
In order to be eligible for Meals on Wheels you must be 55 years of age or older and live within the following catchment area:
- West of Markham Road to East of Bayview Ave;
- North of Lawrence Avenue to South of Denison Street (Markham).
If you live outside this area, we will refer you to a service in your area.
- Clients are asked to complete a telephone COVID-19 Respiratory Infection Screener with our staff at the time of registration and while regularly while receiving services
- Contactless delivery
- The SPLC team calls our Meals on Wheels clients to maintain social contact, check their safety, regularly, and provide community information and referrals as needed
Looking for more ideas on how to get fresh food delivered to your home?