Skip to Main Content
Support Senior Persons Living Connected by donating today!

It can be stressful to think about the future when you are concerned with the current wellbeing of an older adult. However, planning ahead will ensure that you and the older adult under your care stay as healthy and happy as possible in the years to come. The Government of Ontario and Speak Up Ontario have excellent resources on planning for the future of the older adult you support.

Living Options

While SPLC strives to keep older adults as independent as possible, there may come a time when they begin to need additional care, and you feel that living at home is no longer in their best interest.

Retirement homes

  • Private accommodations for older adults who can live independently.
  • Meals, laundry, light housekeeping, and recreational activities may be provided.
  • Medical / nursing care is not offered.
  • Resident must cover full cost of living expenses.

Independent Seniors’ Apartment Building

  • Tenants should be able to manage the majority of their own care.
  • Rent or lease may be geared to the income of retired tenants.
  • Social and recreational services are provided to tenants.
  • St. Paul’s L’Amoreaux Centre is an example of this form of housing.

Life Lease

  • Residents should be able to manage the majority of their own care.
  • Resident signs a lease hold agreement which gives them the right to reside in a building for a cost that is lower than the current market price.
  • Building is usually owned by a non-profit organization that manages the facility.
  • St. Paul’s Terrace Seniors’ Residence is an example of this form of housing.
  • Assisted Living Facilities
  • For older adults who require some assistance with day-to-day care.
  • Personal support services such as assisted bathing, meal preparation, and transportation are available to tenants.

Long-term Care Home

  • For older adults with greater care needs
    • Appropriate for anyone who cannot live independently or is suffering from cognitive impairment.
  • 24-hour assistance with personal care (eating, bathing, medical care, etc.)
    • Cost of personal care is covered by Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, but residents must pay for room and board.
    • A portion of the cost for room and board may be subsidized by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care if the resident has trouble paying.
  • Residents must apply through their Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) to get into a long-term care home.

Please contact us for more information on housing and advance care options for older adults.

Some of our services include

Translate »